About Africa Call
The call focused on addressing some of the S&T objectives of the “Africa-EU Strategic Partnership”, with an emphasis on "Water and Food Security” and “Better Health for Africa". The call was jointly implemented by the following themes:
1. Health (HEALTH) (39 million €)
2. Food, Agriculture, fisheries, and Biotechnology (KBBE) (6,5 million €)
6. Environment (including climate change) (ENV) (17,5 million €)
- total 63 MEUR = planned EC funding
The 15 topics of this call are implemented jointly by Themes 1, 2 and 6
Multi-disciplinary and integrated approach involving various scientific and technological research fields:
- food, agriculture, health, land and water resources, including their interaction with climate change, where appropriate at river basin scale,
- considering demographic changes, globalisation processes and sustainability.
- consideration of the various geographical, sectoral and cultural differences within Africa
- broader socio-economic factors: migration and resettlements, urbanisation, health care systems and programme interventions, destabilisation of national food reserves, variations of food and oil prices, etc.
- strengthen local capacities in the relevant science and technology fields and their applications (training and exchange of staff)
- innovative management and governance tools and adaptive technologies suitable for the relevant authorities and stakeholders for providing contributions to:
- reduce poverty;
- increase food security, academic training and health research networks;
- manage water more efficiently and
- protect natural ecosystems in Africa.
- The participation of local stakeholders, and/or regional actors, and the necessary networking to achieve the expected impact.
- Relevant projects selected from each topic should establish synergies between the different topics to enhance complementarities in the implementation phase.
- Balanced level of participation for African countries in collaboration with their European partners